Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hot chocolate may be my security blanket....

Hershey's Cocoa, Special Dark, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 6)For as far back as I can remember I have loved hot chocolate. I live in the south where we have very little weather that is considered "cold". In fact, the average temps are in the 70's -80's.

So, why is it that I can be outside swimming in 100 degree weather and come inside and want a cup of hot cocoa?

Maybe it's a girl thing?

The Demon Trapper's Daughter: A Demon Trapper Novel (Demon Trapper Novels)One of my favorite new books is The Demon Trappers Daughter by Jana Oliver (read my review HERE), and now that I think of it, even the heroine in that book, Riley Blackthorn is addicted to the rich, choclately goodness that is HOT CHOCOLATE. Coincidence? Could be. Maybe Jana Oliver just really understands a girls mind, or maybe it's deeper than that. Maybe most girls love hot chocolate because it makes us feel good.

For me, it's simple really. Just about anything can be temporarily cured by hot chocolate. Bombed at regionals? Hot Chocolate to the rescue! Fight with friends? Hot Chocolate understands. Cute boy from 8th period totally brush you off? Hot Chocolate wants you to enjoy it!!!

It is a strange power that cocoa has in my house. Regular candy bars or chocolate pieces aren't the same, and frankly...they make my tummy hurt. If I am going to binge on sweets it's be something more like Sour Patch Kids or  Sweet and Sour Twizzlers (which OMG are so freaking good and addicting) yet, if I want to be comforted, filled, and generally feel better I want hot chocolate.

I bet it has something to do with the senses contibuting to the experience. First, it's hot meaning...it's warm to touch. Secondly, if it's seasoned right you can smell some amazingly yummy scents. Next of course is the most obvious...taste. Then, I guess you could say that your eyes get a treat when looking at it, because the rich brown color is soothing and if it's topped with marshmallows then it makes it kind of billowy in sight.  I don't know, maybe I'm reaching here . . .

I am sure there are personality studies that have come to some in depth conclusion on the subject. As for me, I will just continue enjoying making my own hot chocolate and experimenting with adding different spices to the brew. It's really fun. Lately I have been adding dark chocolate chips and chilli powder to the pot as well as different kinds of cinnamon. No matter what I try though, they all are yummy and instantly make me feel secure.

Does anyone else love hot chocolate as much as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment