Monday, March 14, 2011

I Am Number Four review

*This review was previously posted on Paperbackdolls.com

I Am Number FourNine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

I Am Number Four Movie Tie-in Edition (Lorien Legacies)First off let me say right away that I am one of those people that went to see the movie before reading the book and I pretty much saw it because of the hotness that is Alex Prettyfer Pettyfer. I mean, the guy is so unbelievable gorgeous and the camera seems to adore every line and feature on his beautiful face. That being said...I have wanted to read the book for a while, I just hadn't gotten around to it and the movie did the author a huge favor IMO and provided the push I needed to pick up the book and  just read.

The movie was ok. It served it's purpose and gave me and my friends an hour and forty five minutes of entertainment and eye candy. But, where the movie failed was in translating the characters personality and the connections and interactions between them. The movie just did not capture the magic that the author was able to put on paper.

John is number 4. He is an alien living on earth because his planet was destroyed by another race called Mogadorians. John and nine others are in hiding and scattered across the globe. Protected by a fellow alien named Henri.

I love Henri. Not only in the book but the movie as well. The problem though was his character seemed like two totally different people. In the movie Henri was young, handsome and generally cocky. In the book Henri was middle-aged and a very deeply written character. The way book Henri talked about how he missed his home planet, Lorien, was touching. The sadness he purged when revealing what really occurred during the war that ruined Lorien turning what once was lush and beautiful to a dying, gray planet was very poignant. Also, in the book Henri did what ever was possible to protect John, sometimes going above and beyond what one would expect. Book Henri took his job very seriously and you get the impression that he truly cared for John, and that sentiment was sorta lost on screen.

John...Oh, Man. John. Although John is a great guy with super alien powers, who can kick any ones butt. He didn't appeal to me as much as I thought he would. I guess it was the fact Alex Pettyfer's face was glued to my eyes when imagining John. Somehow I thought that would make him a better guy...I was wrong. He's nice and I loved John and Sarah together just...there is nothing extraordinarily magnificent about him personally, other than his other worldly abilities. 

I mentioned Sarah? Oh yes, Sarah was a fantastic character in book and movie. Sarah's character spoke to me. I liked how she wasn't a super butt-kicking heroine like most novels have nowadays. I also loved how she wasn't overly needy of John...sitting around and whining "Oh John..I need you.. Oh, John, I need your presence..." Blah, blah blah. I mean,  what the poo? No girl I actually know (or want to hang out with) does that. Girls don't need a guy to be individuals, and Sarah was a character who realized her value.  She loved photography and I think that strikes a chord with many young adults... especially since I've taken a recent liking to photography and taking pictures.

The plot was decent enough and with a healthy imagination anyone can get into the crazy world, but it is the characters that really sell this story. And, man...there are so many great characters in this book that didn't have near the development on screen as they had on paper. For example:  Mark, who has made it his mission to annoy John constantly; Sam, the nerdy bud of John (who I have a slight crush on); Berni Kosar the magical dog that...oops...I may be saying too much.

All in all, this was a great read full of up to date happenings, action, adventure and just enough romance to satisfy the needs of teen fans. The movie was good, but the book is better.

~Peace & Love


I purchased this book and the ticket to the movie. This is my honest opinion on both.

No comments:

Post a Comment