Friday, March 11, 2011

Pondering natural disasters, praying for Japan...and questioning stuff

Like many Americans I woke this morning to the news of a major earthquake in Japan and a tsunami caused from the quake.

The footage is depressing.

Watching all the fires blaze and the debris being pushed inland makes me sad on many levels. For starters, the thought of how many people that may have been caught in the tsunami and dragged away in its wave is horrific. I mean, I look at the debris and the sheer volume of it and I cant help but wonder if there are bodies inside. It is pretty gruesome. Not to mention the lives that are turned upside down because of loss from the damage. Whether it be homes, cars, jobs, injury or life...there is no doubt that many will be impacted by the destruction.

The next thing that goes through my mind is the destruction itself and the effect on the environment and ecosystem. Where does all the debris go? Does it wash away to sea? If so, what about the ocean life?

Sea VoicesRight next to where I am sitting is my copy of Sea Voices by Duffy and Elizabeth Healey. I often look through the book and read the interviews with people who love the ocean like I do. People from all different walks of life, parents, musicians (like Jason Mraz), actors (like Pierce Brosnan and Daryl Hannah) Scientists, teachers, doctors, surfers, businessmen...they all express their love for the sea and why they think it's important to protect it. As I look over at the book my thoughts can't help but cut from "OMG all the poor people in Japan" to "WOW, what does this mean for the ocean".

Without natural disasters humans have already done a pretty good job of destroying the ocean with garbage, pollutants and other junk. When I see the pictures of what is happening in Japan right now with the tsunami, I can't help but wonder how it will impact all the life in the ocean.

I don't know where I am going with all of this exactly. I just know that when we create lifestyles and build their foundations where they are at risk of being hit by natural disasters then maybe steps should be made to ensure that the lasting influence of them is minimal. I know, I know...even as I wrote that I realized that steps must be made to help protect human life and that technology was key in warning people of the tsunami. I guess part of me just wishes things were simpler and less complicated. With all the great advances in technology we are getting farther and farther away from the heart of things.

Our ancestors did not have all the modern things we have and were still able to live rich and full lives. Sometimes I wish we could live like that again. But of course, if that was the case, I wouldn't be able to share my thoughts like I am right now...

I am praying for Japan and all my friends in the Philippines. My heart goes out to you all.

I have to go to school now.

Peace & Love
~D

No comments:

Post a Comment